|Atlantic City Library International Night Series|
Event Type: Music/Dance Performance|
Age Group(s): All Ages
Start Time: 7:00 PM
End Time: 8:30 PM
The series, co-sponsored by the library and City of Atlantic City, will be held at 7 p.m. on Wednesdays in July and August at Kennedy Plaza, located on the Boardwalk between Mississippi and Georgia avenues. The shows are free and run approximately 90 minutes.Get parking information and directions to the library
Location: Kennedy Plaza
The schedule features:
• Cason Express Show Band on Wednesday, July 3 – For the first time in Atlantic City Library International Night Series history, American music will be the theme. The Cason Express Show Band is a high-energy group that will perform some popular R&B and jazz classics.
• Hawaiian Luau Entertainment on Wednesday, July 10 – Hawaiian Luau Entertainment takes the audience on a trip through Polynesia, performing the music and dances of many of the islands. Spectators are treated to a show of great contrasts, ranging from the relaxing hula to the intense drumming during the warrior dances … and the fire-dancing exhibition is always a crowd favorite.
• Feraba on Wednesday, July 17 – Feraba delivers a soul-inspiring combination of traditional music, vocals and dance that is captivating and astonishing. Feraba takes the audience on a musical journey to West Africa and performs many dances from the country of Guinea as well as introducing spectators to African rhythm tap, a one-of-a-kind fusion of American tap dance and West African dance styles.
• Los Pleneros de la 21 on Wednesday, July 24 – Formed in 1983, Los Pleneros de la 21 has spanned three generations of musicians and dancers dedicated to the performance of the bomba and plena, two styles of Puerto Rican music with African roots. Los Pleneros was the first New York-based Puerto Rican bomba and plena group to perform at the famed Carnegie Hall.
• Tropical Beat on Wednesday, July 31 – Tropical Beat Steel Band is one of the nation's top authentic steel drum bands, with members who have toured internationally with acts such as Santana and the Esso Steel Band from Trinidad. The group’s steel pan (steel drum) instrumentalists play the lively musical rhythms of the Caribbean, including calypso, soca and reggae.
• Chinese Theatre Works on Wednesday, Aug. 7 – The Chinese Theatre Works create artistic performances that bridge Eastern and Western theatrical aesthetics and forms. The group’s performances include puppetry, opera, plus ethnic and classical Chinese music and dance.
• The Barley Boys on Wednesday, Aug. 14 – The always popular Bar¬ley Boys play orig¬i¬nal, tra¬di¬tional and con¬tem¬po¬rary Irish music. The group’s pow¬er¬ful drums, melodic bass, high-energy fid¬dle and inno¬v¬a¬tive gui¬tars join together to form an excit¬ing and entertaining sound.
• Bollywood Axion on Wednesday, Aug. 21 – New York City’s Bollywood Axion is the United States’ first professional dance school for Bollywood and bhangra dance classes. The group blends class Indian dance techniques, contemporary Western influences, Punjabi bhangra’s energy and the spirit of Hindi cinema. The group has appeared on the CBS “Early Show,” and in Hollywood and Bollywood films.
• Kinding Sindaw on Wednesday, Aug. 28 – Kinding Sindaw performs the dance and music of the Philippines. The repertoire features dances that are graceful yet vigorous. The musical accompaniment is performed on a variety of percussion instruments, including a tuned bronze kettle drum set, hanging gongs and cylindrical drums.
For more information about the Atlantic City Library International Night Series, please call (609) 345-2269, ext. 3064.